top of page




You are entitled to claim financial support ("benefits") if you have come to the UK under the Ukrainian Scheme. 


This includes access to Universal Credit and jobs support immediately, as well as Child Benefit if you are with a child. 

You may also be eligible for Housing Benefit, Pension Credit, Personal Independence Payment, Child Disability Living Allowance and Carers Allowance, and Attendance Allowance. Contributions-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) are also available for those Ukrainians who meet the criteria.

You will need to apply for a National Insurance Number in order to claim these benefits. Further information about this is provided below. We have also created a one-page guide for your host which can be found here. 


Applying for Universal Credit online You will need to create an account to make a claim. You must complete your claim within 28 days of creating your account or you will have to start again. To apply online you’ll need:

• your bank, building society or credit union account details

• an email address

• access to a phone

You’ll also have to prove your identity. You’ll need some identity documents for this, for example your:

• passport

• debit or credit card


There are two ways to get help with your Universal Credit claim. You can either call the Universal Credit helpline or use the Help to Claim service. Calls to the Universal Credit helpline are free - Telephone: 0800 328 5644 13


The main method of paying benefits is into a bank account by direct credit transfer (called ‘direct payment’). This means the money goes straight into a bank account in your name. If you make a claim, you will be asked for details of the bank account you want to use for your benefit. You can have benefit paid into:

• a standard bank or building society account (for example, a current account)

• a basic bank account (also called an introductory account) 

If you have children, you can claim for support with Child Care costs. 


A National Insurance (NI) number is used to make sure your National Insurance contributions and tax are recorded against your name only. This is a code with letters and numbers and never changes.

 When you make an application you will need to give a copy of your passport and proof that you have the right to work. The employer you want to work for will tell you what documents you need to show. When you make an application you will need to give a copy of your passport and proof that you have the right to work.  

Paying Taxes in UK if you work for an employer in Ukraine

Find out about paying Income Tax and National Insurance contributions if you arrive in the UK but are still working for an employer in Ukraine.


Information on opening a local or online bank account, needed to recieve any benefits


The local Job Centre in Ringwood can help hosts and guests with benefits applications 

bottom of page