top of page


You are entitied to claim benefits whilst you seek refuge here in the UK, in order to support you financially. 

Those arriving in the UK from Ukraine as a result of the Russian invasion can access Universal Credit and jobs support immediately, as well as Child Benefit if you are with a child. 

Ukrainians will also be eligible for Housing Benefit, Pension Credit, Personal Independence Payment, Child Disability Living Allowance and Carers Allowance, and Attendance Allowance. Contributions-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) are also available for those Ukrainians who meet the criteria.

You will also need to apply for a National INsurance Number in order to claim anyhting from the government. 


The UK has a welfare system which is designed to help those who face financial hardship, or who have specific needs. Ringwoods Job Centre will be able to help you find out which benefits you may be able to access. This may include:

• Universal Credit – a payment for those of working age, to help with your living costs if you’re on a low income. You could be working (including selfemployed or part time) or be out of work;

• Pension Credit - extra money to help with your living costs if you are over the age of 66 and on a low income. Applications for Pensions is online or via telephone

• Disability benefits – extra money to help with additional costs if you have a long term physical or mental health condition or disability • Carer’s Allowance – extra money if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week.

• Child Benefit – extra money to help with the cost of raising a child.


Applying for Universal Credit online You will need to create an account to make a claim. You must complete your claim within 28 days of creating your account or you will have to start again. To apply online you’ll need:

• your bank, building society or credit union account details

• an email address

• access to a phone

You’ll also have to prove your identity. You’ll need some identity documents for this, for example your:

• passport

• debit or credit card


There are two ways to get help with your Universal Credit claim. You can either call the Universal Credit helpline or use the Help to Claim service. Calls to the Universal Credit helpline are free - Telephone: 0800 328 5644 13


The main method of paying benefits is into a bank account by direct credit transfer (called ‘direct payment’). This means the money goes straight into a bank account in your name. If you make a claim, you will be asked for details of the bank account you want to use for your benefit. You can have benefit paid into:

• a standard bank or building society account (for example, a current account)

• a basic bank account (also called an introductory account) 


A National Insurance (NI) number is used to make sure your National Insurance contributions and tax are recorded against your name only. This is a code with letters and numbers and never changes.

 When you make an application you will need to give a copy of your passport and proof that you have the right to work. The employer you want to work for will tell you what documents you need to show. When you make an application you will need to give a copy of your passport and proof that you have the right to work.  

Yellow Flowers
bottom of page